Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Software updates business model
Software updates business model

2226 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2016-02-21 16:16:58

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    jgraham
    2016-02-16 19:33:06
        Seems to me the business model is a little strange when it comes to automotive scanner software updates and for that matter anything related to automotive software. I find it strange that I buy a hardware product that has software that can be buggy and is fixed with periodic updates to make it function correctly but am limited to only one year of this. I understand that they need to sell software updates to customers  for newer year vehicles. I would think if I bought a scanner in 2015 I should be entitled to any software tweak or enhancement for all years up to the year of my last software purchase. If Microsoft or Apple computers followed this business model they would be out of business. I am all for paying for additional years i.e. Adding 2017 cars or a new manufacturer but having to pay $1200 a year just to get the software I have to function at 100% is unreasonable. If anyone else agrees with me please say so below. 

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    jgraham
    2016-02-16 19:36:12
    Error

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    jgraham
    2016-02-16 20:27:47

Seems to me the business model is a little strange when it comes to automotive scanner software updates and for that matter anything related to automotive software. I find it strange that I buy a hardware product that has software that can be buggy and is fixed with periodic updates to make it function correctly but am limited to only one year of this. I understand that they need to sell software updates to customers  for newer year vehicles. I would think if I bought a scanner in 2015 I should be entitled to any software tweak or enhancement for all years up to the year of my last software purchase. If Microsoft or Apple computers followed this business model they would be out of business. I am all for paying for additional years i.e. Adding 2017 cars or a new manufacturer but having to pay $1200 a year just to get the software I have to function at 100% is unreasonable. If anyone else agrees with me please say so below. 

•   Level 2   
    (25) points
    usaimportservice

2016-02-19 13:10:01

Hi,

also very upset is, that if an update failed while in the payed update period, and the manufacturer disappeared .. there is no way to get it back, when you are out of the abo period and did not bought a new year.... 
    And you get NO Support after the abo time.... not even a answer about complaints, that is a very bad support! 
    Normally i would buy the following abo, but when customers are so left alone when the period ends (unit is only one year old) i'm thinking about buying a other device.... 

Also what when you do a restore on the tablet, will the maxisys app be deleted or not? 

At the moment it is nearly impossible to scan a 2015 dodge RAM with the "auto" option, it scans the VIN correctly, then it whants, that i provide the year manually and there the app gets stuck... very pissed about that...

regards

klaus

•   Level 1   
    (9) points
    jyurgin

2016-02-21 11:23:43 (Reply to:usaimportservice)

What we get for buying cheap chinese crap instead of Snap-On.

"There is a difference." I get reminded every dang time I try to sneak one by...

•   Level 4   
    (191) points
    boss

2016-02-21 16:16:58 (Reply to:jyurgin)

My dealer said that if you want the device on all occasions, don't look in the direction of China, And have already bought the goods of the Chinese , we change the old scanner every year with a new surcharge, and don't need to update, so we decided
  Total1 Pages